Gmail talkgadget/hangouts/chat infinite loop
Version: Tor Browser Bundle 188.8.131.52 please relocate to appropriate thread if incorrect
Gmail allows for two types of chat: by default, hangouts, and by choice, legacy chat. These operate in a frame on the lower left of Gmail. Legacy chat works, but reverting to legacy chat from hangouts is impossible from Tor Browser Bundle 184.108.40.206, where an infinite loop interferes.
- Gmail load attempted with restrictive NoScript settings. Options appear: loosen restrictions, or use HTML only.
- mail.google.com is whitelisted in NoScript, as well as (optionally) some of the following domains: a. clients6.google.com b. plus.google.com c. talkgadget.google.com d. www.google.com
- Page is reloaded. The following error message appears in the lower left chat frame: "Something's not right. We're having trouble connecting to Google. We'll keep trying...\n This may be caused by network or proxy issues. Learn more.
- apis.google.com is whitelisted in NoScript, as recommended on the linked support page. Gmail is refreshed.
- Hangouts loads, with contact list visible. Within seconds, it disappears and is replaced with a Sign In button.
- The Sign In button is clicked. A pop-up appears with a log-in page from domain accounts.google.com. Password is entered; user signs in. Page declares success, instructs user to close pop-up and refresh Gmail.
- Go to step 5.
This bug prevents users from being able to use Google chat at all, since reverting to legacy chat requires accessing the main menu in talkgadget/hangouts.
Tried many combinations of NoScript whitelists. None works.