Write Tor proposal for hidden-service statistics
We should write a Tor proposal for the various hidden-service statistics that we're considering to add to relays' extra-info descriptors. That proposal will facilitate public discussion on tor-dev@, because we'll have a single document that we can edit and improve. Primary focus will be to say whether the suggested new statistics are safe enough to gather.
Examples (from Roger's recent post to tor-dev@):
- How many intro points were established at my relay over the past 24 hours?
- How many rendezvous points?
- How many of those rendezvous points got used?
- What were the various usage stats of the intro points?
Suggested next steps:
- Make a list of suggested statistics. This tor-dev@ thread already contains plenty of suggestions that we need to extract. Should we add more suggestions as comments to this ticket?
- Translate that list into the proposal format with concrete data formats that can later be merged into the extra-info descriptor section of dir-spec.txt. We'll want to keep this document in a torspec Git repo.
- Do a first evaluation whether statistics are safe enough or not, and add those assessments to the document. This also ties well with (4) from the end of Roger's tor-dev@ post.
- Polish the document and send it to tor-dev@.
dgoulet, asn, and I agreed to co-author this proposal. asn suggests to aim for mid-November for sending it to tor-dev@.