Google Drive/Docs do not work in Tor Browser
Tor Browser 4.0.2 (Firefox 31.3.0) on Mac OS 10.9.5
- Open new Tor Browser session.
- Navigate to drive.google.com and log in with a valid Google Account.
The page loads without errors. I am able to use the features of Google Drive, such as creating new documents and editing existing documents.
After the page loads, I see an error message, "There were some problems loading your apps" displayed on the page in a red notification box directly underneath the "Search Drive" input field. After some time elapses, this message changes to "Data load timed out."
Beyond these explicit error messages, the site is generally unusable. It is not possible to create new documents because New > New File doesn't list any file types, as it does in a normal browser. It is not possible to edit existing documents - when double-clicked, there is no "Open" button in the subsequent lightbox view of the document, so the document cannot be opened in Google Docs for editing.
In the Browser Console, I note multiple instances of "[01-02 20:25:10] Torbutton NOTE: Removing 3rd party HTTP auth for url [scrubbed]" which seems related to my activity on Google Drive. As I continue to try to use the site, an increasing amount of these errors are logged.
I have been able to reproduce these errors with the following configurations:
- Tor Browser with HTTPS-Everywhere disabled
- Tor Browser with NoScript disabled
- Tor Browser with HTTPS-Everywhere and NoScript disabled
I have been //unable// to reproduce the errors from the STR in:
- Firefox ESR 31.3.0
This suggests that the errors are not due to any of the following:
- Bugs in the Firefox ESR that Tor is based on
- Lack of support from Google for the older version of Firefox that Tor Browser is based on
The messages in the Browser Console suggest that TorButton may be involved.