Tor crashes after tor browser update running bridge mode in Windows
In Win 7x86, running a bridge in tor browser:
- When updating tor browser 5.5.4 -> 5.5.5 from within the browser, at the last step of the update browser shuts down instead of restarting, OR when trying to restart tor browser 5.5.5 for any other reason while in bridge mode,
- The browser cannot be restarted manually. Error message is "Tor unexpectedly exited...." or "cannot open/find Control Port"
Process to restart the browser in bridge mode:
- Save torrc. Delete all other files from the installation folder. Reinstall tor browser, but DO NOT ALLOW TORRC TO START AUTOMATICALLY. (i.e., uncheck "start tor now")
- Copy the saved (bridge mode) torrc over the null torrc in ...\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor
- Restart tor browser, LETTING IT OPEN THE BROWSER AUTOMATICALLY.
Shutdowns/restarts work fine when the browser is in client mode, but I've only checked that on a Win 7x64 machine.
I can supply torrc and the bridge log (notice) if needed. I'll go through the above shutdown/restart rigmarole creating a debug log, but once again this will mean not letting the bridge go through its full lifecycle yet once again. - eliaz