Have a SMTP out only server
Lately, I discovered that many of my emails were silent drop by the remote server or put in SPAM. And that was because the person came back to me asking where was my email. For instance, gmail sometimes put it in the SPAM still because we lack DKIM/SPF so it hurts our reputation.
Th reason why is quite simple: I use my own SMTP server to send the emails while forging the
It would honestly be of a great help if we could simply have an authenticated SMTP server that I could use with let say my LDAP account for sending emails with my @tpo and not being worried that it gets dropped...
The steps required for this change are:
create a new field (
emailPassword?) in the LDAP schema (done)
- setup a separate email server to accept submissions and keep mail servers aware that not only eugeni sends email
- hook up the password field as authentication in Postfix in the server (probably through ud-generate?)
- test with TPA users that can modify their own password directly through LDAP
- update the web interface (to support changing the field as well?)
- optionally, update the mail gateway to support changes to the field
- do tests with the users in this ticket, and if this works, propagate to all current LDAP users
- create LDAP accounts for more users who want to use the system
- add monitoring loops, with (say) Google, Hotmail, Yahoo and Riseup to ensure delivery works across servers We should also make a design document to follow along.