"Censorship-timeline" for Tor
It was shortly discussed on #tor-dev that some sort of "censorship-timeline" for Tor would be helpful. In particular, this should provide:
- Detailed technical analyses of the censorship mechanisms in place (DPI fingerprints and manufacturers, traceroutes, ...)
- Code and data to reproduce all experiments
- Tor patches and standalone tools to evade the censorship devices
After all, this timeline should serve as a comprehensive archive for all people interested in how Tor is getting blocked. It should make it easy to answer questions such as "What happened to Tor in country X back in Y?".
There are also some open questions:
- How should the data be structured? In form of a timeline? Or country based? Something else?
- What data should be published and when? Full disclosure too early in the process helps the censors.
- How should it be presented? In a wiki page or a standalone web site?