Audit and possibly enable safebrowsing
TBB currently disables safebrowsing. I would like to answer the following questions before we enable it:
- Does Firefox stop fetching safebrowsing data if the browser is inactive? The spec says the list is updated every 30 minutes, but doesn't say anything about user activity.
- The data itself is authenticated, but it is also served over HTTP, and the protocol supports requesting specific lists and segments. This introduces the ability of exits to repeatedly block list segments in an attempt to create a supercookie in the client that appears like it can persist for up to 6 hours (based on the retry behavior in https://wiki.mozilla.org/Phishing_Protection:_Design_Documentation#Client_Backoff). Is there a way for exits/websites to read this supercookie at will?
- Related: Should we clear the safebrowsing list data on New Identity (or does this just cause a lot of pointless network overhead)?
- Clearing the list data might also cause an immediate re-download of all lists and segments. Does it? Do we care about leaking this to the exit (who can then infer that we just clicked New Identity)?
- It looks like we definitely would need to clear the MAC key on New Identity. How do we do that? Does doing so invalidate our previous list data?
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information