How to retire pluggable transports
Why retire pluggable transports?
- A PT may be superseded by another. For example, obfs4 superseded scramblesuit.
- The maintainer of a PT may no longer be available. This was the case for FTE.
- Eventually we should have a process to make this decision.
The retiring process
- Inform the community by sending an email to tor-talk@. Also inform the relay operator community by sending an email to tor-relays@. This will give operators a chance to shut down retired transports.
- Update Tor Browser. Also don't forget to update the list of default bridges.
- Update BridgeDB after Tor Browser.
- Update our documentation.