STATUS COLOR CODE:
- GREEN = WILL GET DONE BY EOM
- YELLOW = MOST OF IT DONE BUT NOT FINISHED BY EOM
- RED = EITHER DECIDED TO DROP IT OR JUST STARTED THE TASK OR IS MOVING TO THE NEXT MONTH
- Valencia 2016 Winter Dev Meeting Roadmap
- Tor Berlin 2015 Summer Dev Meeting Roadmap
- Valencia 2015 Winter Dev Meeting Roadmap
Prep work for Core Tor 2016 Summer Roadmap
These proposals are submitted but not yet accepted, so the exact content (and funding status!) of any final version is in doubt. They might start as soon as 1 Nov, or some time after.
Nick helped write the deliverables; please get mad at him if they seem stupid. :)
Timeframe for proposal 1 - 12 months
Subobjective 1.1: Build a standardized software-to-software interface layer (API set) for Tor Networks
- Activity 1: Investigate existing APIs in this space
- Activity 2: Design an API
- Activity 3: Investigate applications most in need of this functionality, reach out to developers in those spaces.
- Activity 4: Implement and test API.
- Activity 5: Document API.
- Activity 6: Teach developers about it, making sure it looks good for them
Time estimated: 6 to 9 months
Subobjective 2.1: Reduce Tor processing overhead for low-bandwidth scenarios.
- Activity 1: Improve the Directory Authority consensus part of the Tor network in order to optimize low bandwidth users experience.
Time estimated: 4.5 to 6 months
**Timeframe for proposal 2: ** 24 months
Objective 1: Modularize the Tor Network (“Core Tor”) architecture
- Top-down redesign and documentation of modular interactions.
- Refactor modules.
- Revise module callgraph.
- Create support for replacing modules with components written in higher level languages.
- Create support for isolating existing modules into separate processes.
Timeframe for proposal 3: 24 months
Objective: Improve user experience for mobile users connected to Tor network.
- Investigate if Tor Network sandboxing option works with mobile devices and
- Implement network sandboxing for mobile, if possible.
- Improve the Tor Network’s controller interface to allow mobile apps to better control bandwidth and battery use.