July 2013 - July 2015
Tor Instant Messaging Bundle
Audit the Pidgin chat client, fixing security bugs, and make the Tor Instant Messaging Bundle available to end users.
Hire a forensic expert to audit third-party components of all Tor bundles.
Release a secure, portable chat program that sends all traffic over Tor, can be used with a wide variety of chat networks, uses off-the-record encryption of conversations by default, and has an easy-to-use graphical user interface localized into Farsi, French, Spanish, and Arabic.
Implement an automated build and testing infrastructure to produce nightly Tor Messenger builds and automatically test them.
Tor Mail Bundle
- Prototype a Tor Mail Bundle based on Thunderbird and Torbirdy, similar to Tor Browser and Tor Messenger.
Help Desk and Documentation Improvement and Localization
Add Farsi, French, Spanish, and Arabic translators to the help desk staff.
Schedule support in order to offer chat, email, video, and voice support in more time zones.
Produce easy-to-understand written materials on general communications security.
Produce short videos and translate them into Farsi, French, Spanish, and Arabic that better explain how to use Tor, how to understand Internet circumvention, and thinking about security risks while circumventing censorship; part of this creation will involve working with a technical writer to simplify and clarify existing documentation.
Create and maintain a public repository with outreach materials, allowing members of the Tor community to provide feedback and offer improvements.
Concentrate efforts on outreach to Iranian end users and potential supporters in the technology community; to include train the trainer sessions, advertising on social networks, and interviews on radio and television stations operated by and for the Iranian diaspora.
Hidden Service Usability Improvements
- Analyze usability challenges with the setup of secure hidden services; use these findings to develop a script and accompanying documentation to further enhance usability for civil society technologists and network security engineers.
Note: we switched from project tickets to a more informal approach where we keep tasks in a list on this wiki.
Not assigned to a quarter yet
Guidelines for Quarterly Milestones
Important: Please read the following guidelines for project tickets before you create or update a ticket for a quarterly milestone!
- 20 hours minimum: The task or group of tasks takes at least 20 hours to complete; otherwise, it should be a task/enhancement/defect ticket. Micromanagement considered evil.
- 20 tickets maximum: There should be no more than 20 project tickets for a given quarter of Sponsor O work; otherwise, tickets are too fine-grained and should be grouped into higher-level tasks.
- Yellow box principle: The ticket description starts out as slightly more verbose summary of what the ticket is about, and then turns into the progress summary and later the end result. This is done by updating the description, not by adding comments. (Yes, despite Trac's ugly diff support.) As a result, nobody needs to read lengthy change histories to see the current status. Only the part in the yellow box counts!
- Change history: No technical discussions on the ticket. If there's need for technical discussion, create a non-project ticket, discuss there, and come back with results.
- Summary: The ticket summary is always an action sentence. "Create project tickets from tasks listed on wiki pages" would be a possible summary, "Project tickets instead of wiki pages" not.
- Keywords: Project tickets use keywords like "SponsorO20140331" if they're assigned to a quarterly milestone, or just "SponsorO" if they're not assigned yet.
List of internal deliverables for Q1 and Q2/2015
- (no tasks left)
- Continue auditing Instantbird's security, and possibly engage a third party for performing a security audit. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Translate Instantbird and the OTR plugin into Farsi. (maybe vmon, maybe mrphs; May 2015)
- Translate the OTR plugin for Instantbird into Spanish. (Noel; May 2015)
- Investigate possible issues in translating Instantbird into Chinese and attempt to resolve those issues. If these issues can be resolved with reasonable effort, translate Instantbird and the OTR plugin developed by Tor Messenger developers into Chinese. (Jason; May 2015)
Translate Instantbird into Arabic. (Sherief; Done) Translate the OTR plugin into Arabic. (Sherief; Done) https://github.com/arlolra/ctypes-otr/tree/master/chrome/locale/ar
- Work together with Tor Messenger and Instantbird developers on displaying right-to-left languages correctly in Instantbird. (Sherief; Sukhe; March 2015) (sukhe will like to help Sherief here since he has worked hard on the translations. - probably needs to be pushed to May 2015.)
- Upstream the OTR extension. (arlolra; May 2015)
- Make the UI/UX better for all OTR interfaces. (arlolra; May 2015)
- Close all ctypes-otr tickets opened by January 15 and possibly beyond. (arlolra; May 2015)
- Work with Leiah and incorporate Tor Messenger branding. (sukhe; March (possible) otherwise May 2015) Blocks on Leiah but March 31 may be possible. (I should point out that she did come up with a logo but we asked her for another design, so technically, we delayed it. We will finalize this soon.)
- Secure Instantbird's messaging window. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Add support to Instantbird for in-band XMPP account registration. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Enhance the account creation process by automating addition of popular IRC and XMPP servers. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Add support for handling and deploying Instantbird translations of Farsi, French, Spanish, Arabic, and possibly Chinese. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Implement basic support for a Tor controller. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Write documentation for Tor Messenger and also start working on the design document. (sukhe; May 2015) Some progress will be made by March but nothing complete.
- Close all tickets on Trac ("Tor Messenger" component) opened by January 15 and possibly beyond. (sukhe; May 2015)
- Help release a public version of Tor Messenger by Q2 that incorporates the above deliverables and other feedback from users as part of our planned monthly release cycle. (sukhe, arlolra, and boklm; May 2015)
- Build Tor Messenger for Windows and Mac OS X. (boklm; Windows: March. Mac OS X: May 2015)
- Translate the OTR plugin into French. (boklm; May 2015)
- Implement an automated build and testing infrastructure to produce nightly Tor Messenger builds and automatically test them. (boklm; March 2015)
- Make a process to create a Tor Mail Bundle based on Torbirdy and Thunderbird (using the build produced by Mozilla). (boklm with help from sukhe; March 2015)
(these are all NA, because they're ongoing tasks, unlike projects that have an end date)
- Respond to Farsi requests to the help desk via email and chat. (harmony, vmon, maybe mrphs; NA)
- Respond to help desk requests in Spanish (also Italian and Portuguese) via email and chat. (Noel; NA)
- Respond to help desk requests in English and Chinese via email and chat. (Jason; NA)
- Respond to help desk requests via email/chat in Arabic and English. (Sherief; NA)
- Respond to help desk requests via email/chat in English. (Phoul; NA)
- Respond to help desk requests in French via email and chat until somebody else takes over. (boklm, maybe Lunar; NA)
- Make sure that the help desk remains staffed for Farsi, French, Spanish, and Arabic. In particular, find new help desk members for Farsi and French. (Phoul; March 2015)
- (no tasks left)
- Review and update the Tor brochures. (karsten; March 2015)
Remove no-longer maintained Vidalia bundles from the website. (Sebastian; done)
- Bring the "About Tor" page up to date. (Sebastian; March 2015)
- Discuss with Roger and Nick splitting up the FAQ into multiple, smaller pages; implement the resulting decision. (Sebastian; May 2015)
- Work together with Wendy on updating the Abuse FAQ and the Legal FAQ. (Sebastian; May 2015) ** this was discussed in Valencia and we decided on the following actions: *** FAQ-related stuff: **** Remove outdated entries, consider splitting into smaller parts or consolidating **** aks local lawyers for help with a legal FAQ? Important: language != country *** (Sebastian's update: "I also contacted Wendy about this after the meeting, she said she'd be happy to help")
- Update the Documentation Overview after new documentation has been created. (Sebastian; May 2015)
- Rewrite the Short User Manual by writing Mac OS X specific parts of the new Tor Browser manual. (harmony with help from Sherief; May 2015)
- Research how to automate creation of Tor Browser screencasts, and if it can be done with reasonable effort, create screencasts for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. (karsten and Sherief; prototype for March 2015 / final for Q2)
- Coordinate volunteer translators and voice-over speakers of the Tor animation. (karsten and phoul; May 2015)
Translate the Tor animation produced by KAJART into Spanish and help with recording a Spanish voice-over for this animation. (Noel; March 2015)
- Help with translating other video material produced by Tor into Spanish as time permits. (Noel; May 2015)
Translate the Tor animation produced by KAJART into Chinese and help with recording a Chinese voice-over or adding Chinese subtitles for this animation. (Jason; March 2015)
- Help with translating other video material produced by Tor into Chinese as time permits. (Jason; May 2015)
Translate the Tor animation into Arabic and help record the Arabic voice-over for it. (Sherief; Done)
- Write a script for screencasts explaining how to download (script finished, needs review), verify and run Tor Browser on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. As time permits, record screencasts and make plans for recording voice-overs in English, Farsi, French, Spanish, Arabic, and possibly Chinese.(Sherief; May 2015) Phoul will perform review
Translate the Tor animation into French and help record the French voice-over for it. (boklm; Done)
- PRESENTATION INDEX
- Finalize the presentation index. (Lunar; March 2015) https://media.torproject.org/outreach-material/
- TRAINING MATERIALS
- Write training materials, including slides and worksheet materials, for train-the-trainer sessions. (Phoul; May 15th, 2015)
- Finish development of Stormy's single-click script installer, wizard script, Ansible playbooks, and PyQT GUI. (saint; March 2015)
- Write documentation for Stormy. (saint; March 2015)
- Find more testers for Stormy and incorporate their feedback (saint; May 2015)