Create a "tor-bridge" Debian meta package
Installing an obfs4 bridge on Debian currently requires installing tor, obfs4proxy, and then figuring out how to configure it. We could create a meta package, say tor-bridge, that simplifies this process. This package would:
- Ship with a script that automatically determines a free and random OR and obfs4 port.
- Help us retire a transport by replacing, say, obfs4 with obfs5.
- Ship with a tool that helps operators get their bridge line.
- Write its torrc to a different file than the tor package, to be compliant with Debian policy.
- After installation, ask the operator about their nickname, contact info, and if they want a vanilla or obfs4 bridge.
- Maybe ship with nyx so operators have a sense of how their bridge is doing.
I hear that infinity0 already thought about this problem a lot in the context of tor-bridge-helper.