Tor Browser dev build cannot launch tor
This happens to me on Linux Mint 21 (which I beleive is based on the 22.04 Ubunutu series). I did an in-place upgrade from Linux Mint 20.3 before this behaviour started happening. I have not tested to see if this happens on a fresh Linux install.
<richard> ok mystery.. not solved but narrowed down <richard> so for some context, i'm having this tor failed to launch issue on my desktop PC which i just upgraded to Linux Mint 21 (based off of the latest ubuntu) <richard> (this PC used to be able to build/run tor-browesr in the past no probem) <richard> so, the issue occurs <richard> when build tor-browseer and deploy over a freshly fetch'd 12.0a4 bundle <richard> launch tor-browser, and it tries to launch tor, and tor exits with 127 error code (haven't tracked down deeper than that) <richard> tor will launch from the cmdline no issue if i set the LD_LOAD_PATH appropriately first pointing to the shipped libs <richard> if i first make build and make deploy <richard> then copy the old/shipped firefox over the built firefox bin (but leave the rest as is) then everything launches fine <richard> and finally <richard> if i build a locally copy of tor, and drop it over the shipped version everything is fine <richard> so if i build all the bins with the same toolchain (firefox and tor) then everything works fine <richard> mix and match makes things sad <richard> and a fresh un-touched 12.0a4 alpha also runs fine <richard> anyway i'm unblocked for now and will open a ticket with the above findings and we can deal with it later <ma1> is mix & match on any system something we actually (want to) support? <richard> no, it's purely a build/development problem <ma1> yes, I mean for developers. <richard> yes we def want to support that :D <richard> either that or we integrate tor into the tor-browser build process <richard> :p <richard> or some other smart solution <ma1> I mean, doesn't mach boostrap install a local toolchain to work-around compat issues like this? Or am I completely missing the point? <richard> so I *think* the problem is that my local dev firefox is being built with different versions of libs than the tor we ship with <richard> and the deploy step we do is 'download the built bundle, copy our local firefox bins over' <richard> so you get a mismatch of toolchaisn used for firefox vs tor <richard> but like i said more investigation is needed to see what is actually failing <richard> my desktop's clang is also now on version 14 vs my laptop on version 10 which who knows if that makes a difference vOv <richard> (laptop dev env works fine, but i didn't do an OS upgrade there)
So the work-around is to build a local copy of tor, and deploy that over
.binaries/dev/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/tor. My best hypothesis so far is that
tor is inheriting some sort of
LD_FOO variable from
firefox but we would need to look into this further.