[User Support] Cannot access .onion websites using Tor Browser for Android
On frontdesk we have received numerous complaints from a user in the US that they cannot access .onion websites on Tor Browser for Android. I believe this is a support ticket hence locating this one here but if we are convinced otherwise we can move this elsewhere.
- Android version- 6.1 and 8.1
- We have tried basic troubleshooting, i.e disable VPN, antivirus, firewall
- The issue persists on latest versions of both Stable and Alpha versions of Tor Browser (there have been around the three TBA updates since the user first reported this issue.)
- User can't connect to both v2 and v3 onion services. We gave them .onion links to try, i.e TPO (http://expyuzz4wqqyqhjn.onion/index.html), DuckDuckGo (http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/), Riseup (v3) (http://vww6ybal4bd7szmgncyruucpgfkqahzddi37ktceo3ah7ngmcopnpyyd.onion/index.en.html), to ensure that they were not running into a random .onion website that might be down.
- The user has also tried to install apks of Tor Browser directly from our website and the Android Play Store (we have made sure it is not one of the fake Tor Browser apps that they are using)
- FWIW, the user also tried connecting with a bridge.