We should get civi to handle its own bounces
Our torproject.org newsletter goes out from the address firstname.lastname@example.org which doesn't really exists.
This means that when an address bounces we don't get to know that it has in fact bounced. This unless CiviCRM has a way to handle bounces?
How do we know is the address we send emails via Civi are still valid?
Update: we seem to agree we need Civi to handle bounces. Those are the next steps:
- get approval from @isa to fund GiantRabbit to work on this - approved informally by email
- figure out the best way to implement this (forward email? forward email + dovecot on the crm server?) - @giantrabbit - they want an IMAP mailbox somewhere
- @tpo/tpa configure an IMAP server on crm-int-01.torproject.org
- @giantrabbit make CiviCRM talk to the IMAP server
- one of those:
monitor the mailing
- Grafana dashboard watching the two main mailservers
Place to enable/disable mailing (grep for
- Where the batches are defined
Progress report as of 2021-02-04 16:43UTC, before bumping to 500/batch
- Success: 72632 (25.59%)
- Bounces: 3867 (1.36%)
- Unsubscribed: 46 (0.02%)
- Opt-out: 29 (0.01%)
- Final report:
- Success: 269303 (94.88%)
- Bounces: 14515 (5.11%)
- Unsubscribed: 250 (0.09%)
- Opt-out: 203 (0.07%)