Privchat #6 - Privacy is a human right
Hello! We will host another Privchat in December! This ticket is to track all the things we need to update the privchat page with the next event information.
- Chapter #6 (closed) - Privacy is a Human Right
- December 15 ∙ 19:00 UTC ∙ 14:00 Eastern ∙ 11:00 Pacific ∙ @torproject YouTube channel
- 'Watch' - link coming ASAP
Privacy is about protecting what makes us humans: our day-to-day behavior, our personality, our fears, our relationships, and our vulnerabilities. Everyone deserves privacy. The United Nations even codified privacy as a human right in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. However, governments, corporations, and other powerful entities routinely block us from exercising our right to privacy through surveillance, monitoring, and tracking.
Activists, human rights defenders, minorities and people protesting for change are often the targets of this surveillance, and thus have a unique perspective on the critical importance of privacy and anonymity online.
In this edition of PrivChat, we're bringing together a group of panelists with direct experience as activists or working with activist groups who will talk about their experiences with surveillance and privacy:
Join Ali Gharavi, Senior Programme Specialist, Swedish International Development Agency; Nadya Tolokonnika, artist, activist, and founding member of Pussy Riot; and Nicholas Merrill, founder and Executive Director, the Calyx Institute to discuss their experiences with surveillance and why fighting for privacy is a key part of ensuring human rights for all.
Cindy Cohn, Executive Director of EFF, will join us as our host and moderator.
- Bios & photos in comments below, each should be listed as:
- (Host) Cindy Cohn, Executive Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Ali Gharavi, Senior Programme Specialist, Swedish International Development Agency
- Nadya Tolokonnika, artist, activist, and founding member of Pussy Riot
- Nicholas Merrill, founder and Executive Director, the Calyx Institute