Research approaches for improving the availability of services under DoS
We've been improving the health of the network during onion service DoS, but not the onion service availability. This is a task for looking at this angle.
During the related Stockholm session we looked into various approaches that could help us towards that goal. Here are some of them:
- Introducing application-layer anonymous tokens that allow legit clients to get priority over DoS attacker
- PoW approaches like argon2
- CAPTCHA approaches like introducing a token server giving reCAPTCHA tokens
- Hiding introduction points by rate limiting how quickly clients can find them. Valet nodes?
- Having intros check that clients don't use the same IP over and over. Proof-of-existence?
- Pay bitcoin to introduce
Each of the above solutions has problems and this is a ticket to investigate at least the most promising of them, and attempt to move forward with something.