How to put out a version of Tor
Here's Roger's release process, as written up in mid-2010.
- use it for a while. see if it has any bugs where every single user who tries it is going to report the bug. resolve those.
- gather the changes/* files into a changelog entry, rewriting many of them and reordering to focus on what users and funders would find interesting and understandable.
- bump the version number
- make dist, tell #tor about the tarball and see if anybody has problems building it.
- get at least two of weasel/arma/karsten to put the new version number in the approved versions list.
- sign and push the tarball, sign and push the tag
- edit include/versions.wmi to note the new version, rebuild and push the website
- optionally, tell andrew and helix that a new tarball is up
- After a few days, or sometimes longer depending on what packages we're still waiting for, compose a short release blurb to highlight the user-facing changes, and send it to or-talk. Insert said release blurb into the ChangeLog stanza too.