Skip to content

Bug 40569: Include the channel name on macOS dmgs.

Pier Angelo Vendrame requested to merge pierov/tor-browser-build:bug_40569 into main

Merge Info

Related Issues



  • Immediate: patchset needed as soon as possible
  • Next Minor Stable Release: patchset that needs to be verified in nightly before backport
  • Eventually: patchset that needs to be verified in alpha before backport
  • No Backport (preferred): patchset for the next major stable

(Optional) Justification

  • Emergency security update: patchset fixes CVEs, 0-days, etc
  • Censorship event: patchset enables censorship circumvention
  • Critical bug-fix: patchset fixes a bug in core-functionality
  • Consistency: patchset which would make development easier if it were in both the alpha and release branches; developer tools, build system changes, etc
  • Sponsor required: patchset required for sponsor
  • Other: please explain

Issue Tracking


Request Reviewer

  • Request review from an applications developer depending on modified system:
    • NOTE: if the MR modifies multiple areas, please /cc all the relevant reviewers (since gitlab only allows 1 reviewer)
    • accessibility : henry
    • android : clairehurst, dan
    • build system : boklm
    • extensions : ma1
    • firefox internals (XUL/JS/XPCOM) : ma1
    • fonts : pierov
    • frontend (implementation) : henry
    • frontend (review) : donuts, richard
    • localization : henry, pierov
    • macos : clairehurst, dan
    • nightly builds : boklm
    • rebases/release-prep : boklm, dan, ma1, pierov, richard
    • security : ma1
    • signing : boklm, richard
    • updater : pierov
    • misc/other : pierov, richard

Change Description

For the Mullvad Browser changes we're doing to make it possible to have it as a default installer, we're updating MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME to make channels not clash.

This has the side (but welcome) effect of changing the bundle name on macOS. In turns, this involves changes on the build and signing scripts.

I've defined a new variable, var/display_name that is Project_Name on release, and Project_Name + channel on other channels. Project_Name_Channel already did this, but I think its name was a little bit misleading.

So, I've renamed old occurrences of Project_Name_Channel to display_name, and now Project_Name_Channel will contain the channel also in release.

I've updated also the label of DMGs, so I had to update the singing script as well. Of course, I couldn't test, so they'll need a very accurate review.

How Tested

I've built for all desktop x86-64 platforms + macOS merged dmg. I've ran the builds to check we didn't have surprises.

The impact on Linux is minimal, I think only the about:buildconfig page changed.

On Windows, I had already started a similar change with the NSIS installer. This also changes the properties of the DLLs and exe.

On macOS we had the highest number of changes, and I had to generate updated .DS_Store files.

Merge request reports