Consider removing website content translations
I propose scrapping translation of the web pages on our site. We can create user manuals for translation. We can continue to translate tor, vidalia, aurora/firefox, our manual pages, and other documentation included with the various bundles.
Justifications for this proposal are:
- We spend a lot of time managing the translated pages on the website.
- The English pages are frequently updated, thereby invalidating all of the other languages.
- The switch to transifex hasn't made more translators appear, especially for the languages we may care about the most.
- The translators for many languages that have a right-to-left orientation complain that the transifex interface is a nightmare to use and refuse to update.
- Lots of users simply use google translate, or read English anyway.
- getting translated software into the hands of people is more important than them reading our web pages (especially if the documentation is translated and available locally)
- at last parse of the webserver logs, our translated website traffic is less than 2% of total GET requests, nevermind page views.