tor_tls_finish_handshake warning spamming logs during relay operation
The following message is rapidly filling my notice-level logs during the Tor middle relay operation:
[warn] tor_tls_finish_handshake: Bug: For some reason, wasV2Handshake didn't get set. Fixing that. (on Tor 0.4.5.9 )
The log file is growing fast. I've sent a bug report to OpenBSD via email, but I'm not sure they received it - no response so far. That's why I brought it here. Maybe it's reproducible upstream too.
Steps to reproduce:
- Install the tor package with "pkg_add tor"
- Edit /etc/tor/torrc as in this gist: https://gist.github.com/o-alquimista/ba5b1043cb1be05eb76e0dd7831bf44d
- Start tor service
The tor service may fail to start due to "permission denied" when writing the notice log file. I had to manually create the /var/log/tor directory and set its ownership to the "_tor" user.
- Watch the notices.log file. In spite of the warnings, the relay runs without any noticeable problems. You can see it here: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/3FA93D41E9A7C4C47B77C0D7F617999B6D5D0B62
- Tor 0.4.5.9
- OpenBSD 6.9 arm64 (-stable)
- The device is a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
- Installation method is pkg_add (OpenBSD package)